Friday, January 19, 2007

Some News

It's been a busy 2007. I've been keeping busy, and I hope you have been as well. I've been busy with a new job, but outside of my concerns here's some news that will make January 2007 notable:
  • My beloved RFF has changed ownership
    Jorge Torralba has "transferred" ownership over to Stephen Gandy of CameraQuest. I've mixed emotions about this transaction. I prefer the idea of a public forum, so the thought of RFF in the hands of a retailer makes me feel that this is a marker, a stick in the sand, a plot point. What happens from here on out, will always reference back to January 2007. However, there's one thing that every_single_RFF_member knows: within the whole wide world of the internet there has been no greater proponent, no greater friend to the rangefinder camera and the rangefinder camera user than Stephen Gandy. In fact, the only greater entity is the mass that is the membership of RFF—facilitated by Jorge Torralba. There's great potential for huge success in this union, and unfortunately, great potential for all out disaster. Thanks Jorge and good luck Stephen!
  • M-mount (Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander) Flickr Group
    Finally. Finally, someone has nutted-up and put together a Flickr group that attemps to do for M-mount lenses what the Nikkor Flickr group has been doing for Nikon F-mount lenses. That is, provide a single point from which one can categorically peruse images created with any lens made for a specific mount. The group is called M-mount (Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander), and its realization is due to two dedicated RFF'ers: Alkis Plithas (RFF screen name: Telenous) and Robert Vincent (RFF: Honus).
    This is huge for fans of the M-mount, a project that everyone can take part in. If you own an M-mount lens, use it, and send the photos to the group. Be mindful of using the correct tag. If you don't have a M-mount lens, then this is the place for you. Visit M-mount (Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander) and peruse images made with your favorite focal length simply clicking the linked tag. Of course, right now the group is a little bare (it was launched yesterday), which is why anyone reading this who owns a M-mount lens is invited to join the group and contribute.

  • An RFF PAW on Flickr
    OK. This isn't groudbreaking, but it's fun, and it's new for me. Ray_G on RFF has started up a RFF PAW. I was hesitant to join, because I've always been skeptical of these things, but I figured I'd give it a try. The PAW group is pretty cool, because there's no restriction other than an RFF membership. That means one doesn't have to use RF cameras or film.


OK. I'll sign-off with an image: